Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How a stray cat can touch your heart...


It all started one day in March 1997. I walked every day to the Rio for exercise when suddenly around a bench was a slim, beautiful female calico cat who mewed and mewed. It suddenly struck me she was begging for food and I felt awful because I had nothing to give her. So the next afternoon, hoping I would see her again, I took a basket full of food and milk: and there she was, waiting for me. I’m sure she understood me when I promised to be back again the next day. After 3 or 4 days I decided to call her Minette and that's how a wonderful and very long love story started.

As the weeks went by I realized she was growing fatter and fatter; by mid April, there couldn't be any doubt: she was pregnant! Two weeks later, to my dismay, she vanished. I had grown attached to her so every day I returned sure she would reappear. Then in early May there she was; my Darling Minette. She was half dead with hunger and ate so fast the food was gone after only a few minutes. For more than a week things went on like that until I realised she’d had her kittens, but where was she hiding them?

Then one day she came along with a lovely white male cat with large blue eyes. Unfortunately I realized he was deaf and dumb. But this didn't stop him being so sweet to Minette and sticking close to her. I named him Arthur! I tried to follow her to find out where the kittens where being hidden, but she was too clever.

One day, she wasn't there as usual, so I started calling her and after a few minutes she came with a kitten in her mouth. How surprised and emotional I was that she now trusted me enough to introduce one of her babies: a teeny tiny little thing. Minette was so proud and that's how I found she was hiding 4 kittens in the gaps in the stone wall: 3 girls and a boy, the girls like the mother, the boy all grey and striped! Little by little they came out to play at the place! Sadly one of the little females vanished after only a few weeks. The 3 others were happily growing up though, coming every day with Mum and Dad. I baptized them: Joséphine, Pupuce, and Tiger.

When the kittens were 3 months old Minette and Arthur were neutered and ‘mum’ decided the kittens were old enough to fend for themselves. In November, getting worried about them spending winter outside, I was able to find, with the help of a German lady, a home for all the family in Germany. Minette and Arthur were more than happy to travel by air to Hamburg and their new home. The kids were something entirely different!After almost losing 3 fingers from my right hand and the left one savagely scratched I decided they just didn't want to leave me, the island or their home! And so they stayed, managing to survive the first winter and all the subsequent ones.
Pupuce died when she was 7 years old, the poor thing had a brain tumour and it really broke my heart when I had to take her to the vet to put her to sleep. Tiger, the little brother, was adopted by a Swiss couple and now lives with them, so this left only Joséphine...the lovely tri-coloured, green eyed, 13 years old Joséphine.

Michele Dussan

1 comment:

Lorraine Milton said...

Thank you for such a heart warming story R.I.P. little Josephine and thank you Michele a very lovely lady XX

Post a Comment